22 December 2011

A brief morning at the Pivot Fields

Week 50 - 17 December 2011, Pivot Fields

Finally, this post completes my backlog and brings me up to date.

I was able to get out for just 2-hours with The Beast on a tranquil winter morning that was very gloomy to start, but the sun burned off the low cloud and fog by the time I had to leave - nevertheless, it was still enjoyable.

A Daurian Shrike was reluctant to leave it's perch in the damp cold

Daurian Shrike (Lanius isabellinus)

as was this Common Starling that was feasting on a discarded corn cob

Common Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)

I found a male Desert Wheatear and with patience it eventually did come close enough to have its picture taken

Desert Wheatear (Oenanthe deserti)


Driving on a cut road through one of the fields I flushed a Red-spotted Bluethroat that then proved to be quite obliging as it sat in front of me preening the water droplets off its feathers

Red-spotted Bluethroat (Luscinis luscinia)


A juvenile Black Kite was also reluctant to fly in the morning coolness

Black Kite (Milvus migrans)

Not so with an adult Eastern Imperial Eagle and this Greater Spotted Eagle, who was a lot more skittish and didnt allow me to get very close

Adult Greater Spotted Eagle (Aquila clanga)

A few Namaqua Doves were seen, here a male and juvenile

Male Namaqua Dove (Oena capensis)

Juvenile Namaqua Dove (Oena capensis)

I checked the spot where I had seen Buff-bellied Pipit last year and sure enough there was a single bird present this year, but unfortunatley not at all cooperative for an image, even a record image.

White Wagtails are still seen at most locations in large numbers, as I had to call it a morning just as the light was really improving

White Wagtail (Motacilla alba)

No comments:

Post a Comment