25 August 2015

Is it a bird or a moth?

Week 30, 24 July 2015 - Mutla'a Ranch

Following my discovery of a single Lederer's Cupid last week, I was back at the Ranch early in the morning to see if I could find any more of these butterflies watching the sun come up on my way.

Sunrise, and a new day is dawning
I wasn't too focused on birds, but did note a few Barn Swallows overhead.

Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica)
I checked the area and habitat where I saw the Lederer's Cupid last week and this time there were two present. They seemed to favour the Syrian Mesquite bushes

Syrian Mesquite (Prosopis farcta)
With patience I was able to get a few good images of this new butterfly for Kuwait

Lederer's Cupid (Chilades galba), a 1st for Kuwait


A Mediterranean Pierrot was also seen in the same habitat

Mediterranean Pierrot (Tarucus rosacea)
As well as a colourful Wasp sp whose ID I am unsure of

Wasp sp
I then moved to the Alfalfa fields as some of the plants were in flower; I spent some time photographing the Asian Grass Blues that favour this habitat

Asian Grass Blue (Zizeeria karsandra karsandra)

Female Asian Grass Blue (Zizeeria karsandra karsandra)

Male Asian Grass Blue (Zizeeria karsandra karsandra)
Again, Crimson Speckled Flunkey were present and seen feeding on the flowers

Crimson Speckled Flunkey (Utetheisa pulchella)
Another Moth sp that was drinking from some water, whose ID I don't know

Moth sp
When I became aware of a 'whirring' sound near me and suddenly this astounding Hummingbird Hawk-moth was flying very close to where I was standing. I have only ever seen this unique moth in Europe in the summer and certainly would never have expected to see it in Kuwait. Well, here it was and as far as I can tell and from the literature I have read, this too is a first record for of this species for Kuwait - quite astounding.

Hummingbird Hawk-moth (Macroglossum stellatarum)



After a rewarding morning at Mutla'a at least with the invertebrates, I headed back down the ridge to Jahra Pools and just after the gate came across two juvenile Indian Reed Warblers feeding in the reeds

Juvenile Indian Reed Warbler (Acrocephalus s. brunnescens)


Graceful Prinia's were also pretty vocal calling from the top of the reeds

Graceful Prinia (Prinia gracilis)
A Pied Avocet was still present in the same pool as seen a week ago

Pied Avocet (Recurvirostra avosetta)
In the main pool, a Western Osprey seemed to be struggling in the heat perched on top of a dead tree.

Western Osprey (Pandion haliaetus)
A Gull-billed Tern came in over the pool from the Gulf and then after flying a big arc returned to the sea

Gull-billed Tern (Gelochelidon nilotica)
Whilst watching the Osprey, a small movement at the base of the reeds alerted me to a Little Bittern that was in hunting mode.

Little Bittern (Ixobrychus minutus)


As it was really hot by now, I didn't have the patience to sweat it out in the car waiting for it to catch it's lunch





No comments:

Post a Comment