11 February 2020

Transformation

Week 06; 07 February 2020 - Abdullah Al Salem

The Sunbird(s) had been present again in the lovely garden in the Abullah Al Salem area, so I made arrangements to visit again this morning. Today, weather was perfect and it didn't take long before we heard one bird singing in the garden. It took a bit more work to get eye's on him and what a transformation! The male is now in full breeding plumage and is quite stunning.

I stayed a few hours and believe it or not another male bird visited the garden and there was some interaction between the two - possibly territorial, as a female had also been seen earlier in the week?

I took many images of course and once I had left, the owner called me to say the 2 males were now accompanied by 2 females - 2 pairs! 

This bodes well for the coming breeding season and we will continue to monitor them closely.

Male Purple Sunbird (Cinnyris asiaticus)






No comments:

Post a Comment