17 July 2020

Lockdown - Day 86

Week 23; 05 June 2020 - Pivot Fields

Finally, full lockdown is over and we have some freedom, but still a partial curfew is in place ending at 6am in the morning. So, after 3-weeks, it was great to head back to the Pivot Fields where I arrived at 6:30.

My first stop was the marsh and I was pleased to see this year's juvenile White-tailed Lapwing already flying

White-tailed Lapwing (Vanellus leucurus); Class of 2020


Although the adults were still close at hand

White-tailed Lapwing (Vanellus leucurus)


As always, the Black-winged Stilts were vocal as they flew above me

Black-winged Stilt (Himantopus himantopus)



They in turn brought in the pair of Red-wattled Lapwing

Red-wattled Lapwing (Vanellus indicus)

Walking close to the marsh, I put up a Ferruginous Duck, a first record of this species at this location

Ferruginous Duck (Aythya nyroca)


Also in attendance, a single White-winged Tern

White-winged Tern (Chlidonias leucopterus)

And a number of Sand Martin's

Sand Martin (Riparia riparia)

I then took a drive around the farm, finding Cream-coloured Courser's

Cream-coloured Courser (Cursorius cursor)

and good numbers of Black-crowned Sparrow-Lark's

Black-crowned Sparrow-Lark (Eremopterix nigriceps)




Whilst watching the Sparrow-larks, I saw this impressive Ant, making off with a Honey Bee. If it killed the Bee, then this is quite a formidable species.

Ant sp.

I must admit, it was great to be out at a different location, after 3-weeks of walking every day!


No comments:

Post a Comment