29 September 2020

Peep's on the beach

Week 37; 13 September 2020 - Abu Hassania

It had been a stressful day, so I decided to head to my local beach to enjoy the sunset and coincidentally I arrived on the outgoing tide.

Although it was quite busy with many others who had the same idea as me, enjoy the sunset, not stressed by work. I did manage to find an area where the waders were feeding undisturbed on the inter-tidal flats exposed by the outgoing tide.

I plonked myself down on a rock and enjoyed the antics and interaction between this small mixed group of small waders, not quite eye-level, but pretty close. Sanderling were the most prolific

Sanderling (Calidris alba)






Followed by Common Ringed Plover

Common Ringed Plover (Charadrius hiaticula)





and Kentish Plover which is a breeding resident

Kentish Plover (Anarhynchus alexandrinus)



Surprisingly, there were very few Greater Sand Plover's

Greater Sand Plover (Anarhynchus leschenaultii)



and only one Dunlin

Dunlin (Calidris alpina)




Walking further down the beach, a Common Kingfisher was a surprise find to end an enjoyable 90-minutes me time..

Common Kingfisher (Alcedo atthis)


No comments:

Post a Comment