29 October 2020

Raptors and a Phylloscopus

Week 40; 03 October 2020 - Al Abraq

Raptor migration has been pretty good in the SW of Kuwait this autumn, so again it as an early start in the dark to head back to Al Abraq. Also, a little earlier than a few days back, as I wanted to get the Camel and sunrise pic that I have envisioned for so long. This morning I timed it right, the 'rogue' Camel was out of it's pen and I got my shot!

Sunrise Camel


This golden glow image is also quite appealing

Dawn Glow


And this, a study in B+W

Heading back to camp


I got to the farm where Khaled Al-Ghanem was waiting outside - the gate was locked! It took some time for one of the workers to come an open it, but we did see a Common Cuckoo whilst waiting. We first both drove around the farm and I was lucky to find this juvenile Asian Shikra enjoying some early breakfast. Whatever passerine it was, it didn't take long to finish before the Shikra flew off

Asian Shikra (Accipiter b. cenchroides)






Later we met up and waited from the same vantage area as our last visit for some raptors to pass by. There were definitely way less today, but we still had Steppe Buzzard

Steppe Buzzard (Buteo b. vulpinus)


a 1st year European Honey Buzzard

European Honey Buzzard (Pernis apivorus)




and a few Pallid Harrier's

Pallid Harrier (Circus macrourus)



Red-breasted Flycatchers were quite vocal behind where we were sitting, so I went in search of them and managed to connect. They really are charismatic little birds

Red-breasted Flycatcher (Ficedula parva)



I also found Lesser Whitethroat

Central Asian Lesser Whitethroat (Curruca a halimodendri)



a female Blackcap

Eurasian Blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla)


And I suspect a Caspian Reed Warbler for the 1st image, not 100% sure for the 2nd image

Caspian Reed Warbler (Acrocephalus s. fuscus)



It had warmed up quite a bit, so time for another drive around the farm - Eurasian Hoopoe

Eurasian Hoopoe (Upupa epops)


A single Common Redstart

Common Redstart (Phoenicurus phoenicurus)


And a late Spotted Fly

Spotted Flycatcher (Muscicapa striata)


On the way out, I had a lone Warbler in a small shrub next to the road - once I got the bins on it, saw that it had a wingbar! Much action to get out the car and onto it with the camera which was not required in hindsight. It must have recently arrived as it was foraging and moving continuously within a small area and a real challenge to photograph. It was a Green Warbler and a bird I haven't seen in many a year.

Green Warbler (Phylloscopus nitidus)







Whilst tracking the Warbler, I saw a shadow pass over me. Looking up, it suspect it was an adult Northern Goshawk due to the bulkiness - but I only managed a few rear end images

Northern Goshawk (Accipiter gentilis)













No comments:

Post a Comment