29 October 2020

The Raptors continue

Week 40; 01 October 2020 - Al Abraq

Another early start to head west to Al Abraq which would be less humid than the coast when I left. I had planned to arrive as the sun was just rising. After I turned off into the desert, had this classic Camel in the morning glow - but was a little too late for the shot I really wanted.

Ship of the desert


This morning a number of Steppe Eagle had roosted in the desert overnight - this one against the sun

Steppe Eagle (Aquila nipalensis)


There are too many shooters in this part of the desert during migration and even at this time of the morning the Eagles were skittish. But, with patience I was able to find one who gave me a little time before flying further into the desert. Magnificent raptors...

Steppe Eagle (Aquila nipalensis)



Once at the farm, I had a quick drive to see what else may have roosted and discovered a pair of Lesser Kestrels. I was impressed with my Canon's auto-focus tracking as it didn't lose focus when the male flew behind a tree. I was also impressed with myself as I was panning from inside my car and managed to hold the focus point on the bird too

Male Lesser Kestrel (Falco naumanni)




A Steppe Buzzard had roosted in one of the trees

Steppe Buzzard (Buteo b. vulpinus)


and a 1st year Red-backed Shrike was enjoying the early morning rays

Red-backed Shrike (Lanius collurio)


I joined Khaled Al-Ghanem and Abdulmohsen where we waited for raptors to start flying out of cover or over for those that had roosted somewhere outside the farm. The first was a juvenile Northern Goshawk that streaked out of cover and I managed just one shot as it went past and gave me the eyeball

Northern Goshawk (Accipiter gentilis)


Later a Black-eared Kite that gave a more leisurely fly-by

Black-eared Kite (Milvus m. lineatus)






While we were sitting chatting, a female Ménétriés’s Warbler foraged in a bush just within the minimum focusing distance of our lenses

Female Ménétriés’s Warbler (Curruca mystacea)



An Asian Shikra flew out from behind us and seemed intent on landing in the same tree as a Steppe Buzzard. The Buzzard looked at the Shikra quizzically and must have said "What are you thinking" as the Shikra veered off at the last minute

Asian Shikra (Accipiter b. cenchroides)




Again we had a few Eurasian Hobby

Eurasian Hobby (Falco subbuteo)


As it started to warm up, the few Steppe Buzzards at the farm started leaving and managed to catch a thermal to take them upwards

Steppe Buzzard (Buteo b. vulpinus)




A little later Steppe Eagles drifted by overhead. These could have been some of the birds I saw roosting in the desert earlier when I arrived.

Steppe Eagle (Aquila nipalen



In between we had a few Booted Eagles

Dark form Booted Eagle (Hieraaetus pennatus) and Asian Shikra (Accipiter b. cenchroides)

Pale form Booted Eagle (Hieraaetus pennatus)


a few Marsh Harriers

Western Marsh Harrier (Circus aeruginosus)


and a Eurasian Sparrowhawk that was unusually quite high up

Eurasian Sparrowhawk (Accipiter nisus)


A lone Pallid Swift was dwarfed by the bigger birds in the sky as they effortlessly headed SW on an invisible stream of warm air - amazing to watch

Pallid Swift (Apus pallidus)









No comments:

Post a Comment