08 March 2012

A bird or four on Leap Year

Week 09, 29 February 2012 - Sharq Harbour

While my family was at a birthday party, I spent an hour at Sharq Harbour although it was a little late in the morning. Many of the large white-headed Gulls appear to have departed, so only a few late leavers are still around.

I found a Caspian Gull

Caspian Gull (Larus cachinnans)
As well as an adult and 1st year (juvenile) Great Black-headed Gull - these are really magnificent gulls, from someone who is not really a Gull birder. This year seems to have been very good for these Gulls, with many birds seen over the winter.

Adult Great Black-headed Gull (Larus ichthyaetus)



Some movement caught my eye and I saw this Indian Reef Heron dash out from behind the harbour wall to pounce on a fish discarded from one of the dhows, quite eagerly chased by a Gull, without success.

Indian Reef Heron (Egretta g. schistacea) being pursued unsuccessfully by a juvenile Gull

No comments:

Post a Comment