07 July 2015

Anniversary Birding

Week 14, 04 April 2015 - Sabah Al Ahmad Sea City

Although it was my anniversary, we deferred the celebrations to a dinner for two.

I didn't get any extra attention ordering my usual breakfast at McDonald's on the way down to the Sea City Project in the south of Kuwait. 

As usual I stopped at some degraded reed habitat on route and picked up some pretty good birds to start the morning. A Western Marsh Harrier that had roosted overnight on the deck, didn't stick around too long. It's a good thing, as this is a public area, it is Spring migration and shooters are around, so I'm happy that the raptors are weary rather than confiding.

Male Western Marsh Harrier (Circus aeruginosus)


Tree Pipits were foraging along some of the standing water

Tree Pipit (Anthus trivialis)
Common Sandpiper were present

Common Sandpiper (Actitis hypoleucos)
As were Little Ringed Plovers, who may end up breeding in this area come the summer

Little Ringed Plover (Charadrius dubius)
Indian Reed Warbler was seen briefly in the reeds

Indian Reed Warbler (Acrocephalus s. brunnescens)
A Masked Shrike (one of my favourite Shrikes) was seen sitting quietly and patiently in between some of the larger reeds - a perfect ambush perch!

Masked Shrike (Lanius nubicus)
A flash of black and white flying down from the reeds some distance away turned out to be a male Semi-collared Flycatcher, a good record for the south of Kuwait

Male Semi-collared Flycatcher (Ficedula semitorquata)
Not too long after this, a Spotted Crake came out of cover, before running back into the reeds - another great record for the south

Spotted Crake (Porzana porzana)
I stopped and got out the car to listen to a bird calling in the reeds, when I came back I found a Damselfly sp in my car - this is a species I have been searching for quite some time - not an ideal place to photograph it. Later I was able to identify it as Evan's Bluetail

Evans Bluetail (Ischnura Evansi)
In the acacia alongside the road, Common Redstart's were quite numerous 

Female Common Redstart (Phoenicurus phoenicurus)

Male Common Redstart (Phoenicurus phoenicurus)
I found a flock of European Bee-eaters roosting on an old building

European Bee-eater (Merops apiaster)
Inside the project, Bottlebrush shrubs were in flower and both Eurasian Blackcap and Lesser Whitethroat just love their flowers in the spring

The impressive and distinctive Bottlebrush flower

Male Eurasian Blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla)


Lesser Whitethroat (Sylvia curruca)


I recorded my first Spotted Fly's of this spring

Spotted Flycatcher (Muscicapa striata)
As well as Eurasian Wryneck

Eurasian Wryneck (Jynx torquilla) foraging for ants
Today, only Pied Wheatears were seen

Male Pied Wheatear (Oenanthe pleschanka)
Together with a few Woodchat Shrikes

Woodchat Shrike (Lanius senator)
and a Turkestan Shrike

Turkestan Shrike (Lanius phoenicuroides)
This ideal perch was the demise of one and lunch for another - not sure what may have used the perch, but a Sparrowhawk seems a good first choice.

Nature's dinner plate
In the same grove of tree's I was really pleased to find a Eurasian Scops Owl that of course saw me long before I saw it. Once alert, they will flush easily, so I was very careful to avoid this and luckily it stayed for a mug shot and then I left it in peace.

Eurasian Scops Owl (Otus scops)


A Pallid Harrier was seen briefly as it passed by overhead

Male Pallid Harrier (Circus macrourus)
A few Black Rats were not that good to see, hopefully they wont spread - but they are a potential food source for raptors passing by. Maybe I get to see fur instead of feathers on that branch in the future!

Black Rat


1 comment:

  1. Are the numbers of shooters reduced now after the law has passed?

    ReplyDelete