24 November 2019

Hello Old Friend

Week 46; 15 November 2019 - Jahra Pools Reserve

Jahra Pools Reserve has been closed for quite a few months for maintenance and we have all been itching for it to re-open again. 

Well, it finally opened earlier this week, but since it was a week-day, I had to wait until the weekend before I could visit again. I managed a late afternoon visit and it was like seeing an old friend. The roads have been upgraded and new observation platforms have been built along with a visitor center that is still in progress. Reed growth is still a problem and is impacting the water flow, but these will be cut in the coming weeks.

I had forgotten how quickly the sun drops now that winter is upon us - I mean we are almost dark by 5:15pm! Driving slowly around, it was a struggle to find views of open water, but in the reeds, I had Indian Reed Warbler

Indian Reed Warbler (Acrocephalus s. brunnescens)

and good numbers of Red-spotted Bluethroat around the bases of the the reeds and associated cover. I think this bird may qualify as White-throated..

White-throated Bluethroat (Luscinia s. cyanecula)

Whilst enjoying the Bluethroat, a Grey-headed Swamphen slowly crept out of the undergrowth to feed on some reed roots

Grey-headed Swamphen (Porphyrio  p. poliocephalus)


I had a drive to the beach, finding Mauryan Grey Shrike

Mauryan Grey Shrike (Lanius lahtora pallidirostris)

and a couple of Greater Spotted Eagles that were going to roost on the beach overnight

Greater Spotted Eagle (Aquila clanga)


JPR is one of the best reserves to see numbers of Greater Spotted Eagle in the winter

Greater Spotted Eagle (Aquila clanga)


By now the sun was setting, so I checked the 'forest' finding a Western Osprey that had come in to roost

Western Osprey (Pandion haliaetus)

I patiently waited from quite a distance to get an image of the setting sun directly behind this Greater Spotted, but unfortunately it flew off before that could happen - there went my end of day creative shot!

JPR Sunset



No comments:

Post a Comment