31 December 2019

Hit and miss at JPR

Week 52; 27 December 2019 - Jahra Pools Reserve

My last weekend's birding of this year before I head down to SA for my long overdue summer holiday. I spent a few hours at JPR in the afternoon trying to re-locate the Waterhen, White-tailed Eagle and interesting Martins seen by visiting birders earlier in the week, without success.

Nevertheless, it is still a reserve to be enjoyed and there were still good numbers of Greater Spotted coming in to roost for the night.

Greater Spotted Eagle (Aquila clanga)

The Western Osprey is still here and has been present for a couple of weeks now 

Western Osprey (Pandion haliaetus)

I was surprised how few Water Pipit's there were

Caucasian Water Pipit (Anthus s. coutelli)

I had one White-winged Tern over the big pool

White-winged Tern (Chlidonias leucopterus)

and down at the beach, a few Eurasian Curlews in the inter-tidal zones. These had really long bills, so possibly orientalis 

Eurasian Curlew (Numenius arquata orientalis)

Checking the skies for any Hirundines, I had two Barn Swallow and plenty of Pallid Swifts

Pallid Swift (Apus pallidus)

Got a bit creative with the back and rim lighting on the reeds, as the sun slipped to the horizon

Backlit Phragmite Reeds

Sunset over Jahra



No comments:

Post a Comment