11 February 2013

Fahaheel Park Delivers

Week 07, 11 February 2013 - Fahaheel Park (Click to enlarge image)

Andy and Nicola Hulet had notified me of a possible Ashy Drongo that they saw at Fahaheel Park. Later they were able to get a distant image that clearly showed the long forked tail of a Drongo.

I visited the Park yesterday to see if I could relocate the bird, but without success probably because the park had quite a lot of pedestrian traffic. This morning I was back much earlier and relocated the bird as it aggressively chased some of the resident species around the Park near the MacDonalds.


3rd record Ashy Drongo (Dicrurus leucophaeus)


This will be the 3rd record for Kuwait if accepted by KORC, the 2nd record was one of two birds recorded at Jahra Farms on 7th December 2010.

Of interest an early Masked Shrike was also seen


Masked Shrike (Lanius nubicus)


A male Ruppells Weaver in full breeding plumage, possibly coming from the breeding pair at Green Island was in full cry, but was not co-operative to have his picture taken?

1 comment:

  1. Hello there :) I've just moved to Kuwait and I'm fascinated by your blog! My folks are coming to visit next week and they are both lifelong birdwatchers, so I'd really like to take them to some of the places you're talking about. Can you suggest, or explain, where some of the good spots are please? They'll have their binocs with them, and probably we'd all enjoy the walks too. Where is Green Island, for example? (I'm in Salmiya.) Thanks very much for the blog - lovely. Lindsay. lindsaydives @ gmail.com

    ReplyDelete