30 June 2019

Residents with a sprinkling of Migrants

Week 26; 29 June 2019 - Pivot Fields

The Pivot Fields is still the best option for summer birding for me, that is until we finally get our permits issued for JPR following the recent maintenance on the roads.

A 6am start is essential, to get the best out of the 2-hours available before it gets way to hot. I checked a few spots on the way in, but with no luck - so headed to the two big pans that are a magnet for any birds in this heat.

As usual, the Black-winged Stilts are present in numbers and a very vocal.

Black-winged Stilt (Himantopus himantopus)

Both Caspian and Indian Reed Warblers were calling from the reeds. I haven't seen Little Bittern in the past few visits, but am almost certain they are quietly breeding in the reeds. 

I saw a large wader on the far side of the pan, but it was against the light. I drove all the way around and then crept toward where I thought it may be. I was not as stealthy as I thought I was and it flushed; an Black-tailed Godwit in full summer plumage. It didn't stay away for long and after 10-minutes came circling back and landed in a different area and continued feeding

European Black-tailed Godwit (Limosa l. limosa)


A flock of 10 Little Terns was a surprise

Little Tern (Sternula albifrons)

Also seen were Green and Marsh Sandpipers, a couple of Collared Pratincole's and the expected Kentish and Little Ringed Plover

I heard some Lapwings calling above me as they slowly descended to land in one of the fields - 4 Spur-winged Lapwing! I drove to the field where I saw them land and found another 3! That made it 7 and a new HDC (Highest Daily Count) for Kuwait

Spur-winged Lapwing (Vanellus spinosus), note the spurs


Whilst waiting in the grass on the edge of the pan, I photographed a few Dragonflies. Thanks to Prof. Christian Monnerat for the ID and for the many other Dragonflies I have photographed

Male Diplacodes lefebvrii

And also found what I thought may be a new Damselfly - however it may be a female of the known species. Waiting on confirmation of the ID from Christian

Damselfly sp.


By now I was wilting, so a quick drive around the farm finding Cream-coloured Courser, the same pale form Booted Eagle as last week, Black Kite, a Black-winged Kite and finally a juvenile Greater Hoopoe-Lark in between feeding and resting in any shade it could find

Greater Hoopoe-Lark (Alaemon alaudipes)

I was pretty happy with 32 species seen in 2-hours birding at this really productive site 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete