07 November 2020

Strawberry Fields

Week 44; 31 October 2020 - Pivot Fields

It was back to the Pivots again, after the enjoyable morning yesterday - this time there were quite a few more of us.

Yesterday, Christian had seen Red Avadavat/Strawberry Finch together with the Yellow-crowned Bishops, so I headed to the marsh to try and connect with this Cat E species.

I did stop for a Daurian Shrike in the early morning glow and also created one habitat image

Daurian Shrike (Lanius isabellinus)



The Bishops were easy, but I still haven't got my bumble bee flight shot - need to try with my zoom lens, as I will be able to hold it up and steady for longer.

Yellow-crowned Bishop (Euplectes afer)





After some time and being bitten by countless Sand Flies and Mosquitoes, the Avadavat made a short and quick appearance before disappearing back into the grass to feed. That was all I needed and I was back to my car and itching for the next 3-days!

Red Avadavat (Amandava amandava)



I checked the other side of the marsh, finding the White-throated Kingfisher that I heard calling earlier

White-throated Kingfisher (Halcyon smyrnensis)


Also a Squacco Heron

Squacco Heron (Ardeola ralloides)


A Western Marsh Harrier was bombed (literally) as it flew over the marsh

Western Marsh Harrier (Circus aeruginosus)


On the way to the Lapwing fields, I stopped for two Steppe Grey Shrike's, and one that had just had a bath

Great Grey Shrike (Lanius e. lahtora)



I found the field with the Lapwings and whilst scanning a Collared Pratincole appeared out of nowhere

Collared Pratincole (Glareola pratincola)


There were many Northern Lapwings

Northern Lapwing (Vanellus vanellus)



And I managed to count 4 distant Sociable Lapwing

Sociable Lapwing (Vanellus gregarius)


Tawny Pipits were also in the field, as they were yesterday

Tawny Pipit (Anthus campestris)


There are many White Wagtails and according to Collin's, this one is from Continental Europe, as it has the sharp black border on its nape

White Wagtail (Motacilla alba)


On the way out, I spent a bit of time with this obliging Common Kestrel that was hunting in one of the fields

Common Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus)









No comments:

Post a Comment