01 August 2020

Lockdown - Day 141

Week 31; 30 July 2020 - Pivot Fields

I was up early and at the gates of the farm by 6am. There was not a breathe of air today and the heat was already hanging heavy in the air. I headed to the marsh and within 5-minutes of walking from the car, was absolutely soaked.

New families of Graceful Prinia's were all over the place and I enjoyed watching the antics of the youngsters as the foraged in the Sabkha Bushes. Love the early morning glow and colours of these images.

Graceful Prinia (Prinia gracilis)



Warblers were active and calling, here a Caspian Reed Warbler

Caspian Reed Warbler (Acrocephalus s. fuscus)


I assume this is a young Caspian, as it's beak is still pretty short

Probable juvenile Caspian Reed Warbler (Acrocephalus s. fuscus)


I was pleased to see a Savi's Warbler in the top of the reeds, which was unusual for this skulker and it did slowly come a little closer to investigate my 'spisshing'. Their profile and pose are easily recognisable

Savi's Warbler (Locustella luscinioides)




Walking back to the car I had a Rufous-tailed Scrub Robin, possibly the same bird seen earlier in the month

Rufous-tailed Scrub Robin (Cercotrichas galactotes)

I then checked the area where the Nightjar's were last week and counted 7 from the car. With care and some stealth, I was able to get close to one bird without flushing any of them. Look at the detail in the feathers of the last image.

Egyptian Nightjar (Caprimulgus aegyptius)

This one showing it's white neck patches, which are not often seen


Carrying on with the drive, I had the Black-winged Kite on the overhead line

Black-winged Kite (Elanus c. vociferus)

When I first started birding at school in South Africa many, many years ago, we used to call them Bob-tailed Kites, this is why!

Bobbing it's tail

Black-crowned Sparrow-Larks were in their usual area

Male Black-crowned Sparrow-Lark (Eremopterix nigriceps)

Female Black-crowned Sparrow-Lark (Eremopterix nigriceps)

As were the Cream-coloured Courser's, but this morning there were over 30 birds in the flock. Love their crown pattern

Cream-coloured Courser (Cursorius cursor)




Last stop was the field with Collared Pratincole's and today there were still as many as I counted last week

Collared Pratincole (Glareola pratincola)





No comments:

Post a Comment