12 August 2020

Lockdown - Day 150

Week 32; 08 August 2020 - Pivot Fields

Another early morning session to the Pivots where I arrived at 6am, as the gates opened. As usual, I headed to the marsh for a walk around the reedbeds. 

Warblers were calling, but didn't show as they did yesterday, possibly as it was a little more windy. I did catch this juvenile Indian Reed Warbler as it moved low down through the reeds. I managed to get the 'jump' shot this time

Indian Reed Warbler (Acrocephalus s. brunnescens)


Near the car, I had at least two Rufous-tailed Scrub Robins which are always great to see

Rufous-tailed Scrub Robin (Cercotrichas galactotes)


Moving on, I checked the area where I had found Egyptian Nightjar's previously and again there were quite a few birds present. A few close to the road flushed when I got out the car, so I managed some in-flight images.

Egyptian Nightjar (Caprimulgus aegyptius)


I then found another close to the road that I could photograph from my car and it stayed put after I drove off. If you look closely in the last profile image, you will see my car reflected in it's pupil - pretty cool

Egyptian Nightjar (Caprimulgus aegyptius)



Driving to the Redshank pool, a Black-winged Kite took flight from the overhead lines.

Black-winged Kite (Elanus c. vociferus)

At the pool, again there were Little Ringed Plovers

Little Ringed Plover (Charadrius dubius)

White-tailed Lapwing

Juvenile White-tailed Lapwing (Vanellus leucurus)

And Ruff flying in and out

Ruff (Philomachus pugnax)


A Western Yellow Wagtail took exception to a Barn Swallow coming to drink from the pool and there was some mid-air interaction

Western Yellow Wagtail (Motacilla f. flava) and Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica)


Whilst this one foraged quietly next to my car

Western Yellow Wagtail (Motacilla flava)

The Black-crowned Sparrow-Larks foraged between the Alfalfa in the field next to my car.

Black-crowned Sparrow-Lark (Eremopterix nigriceps)


I then headed for a last drive around the farm and was rewarded with a European Roller

European Roller (Coracias garrulus)


However this Crested Honey Buzzard in heavy moult as it laboured heavily over the farm was unexpected and the highlight of the morning. I expected it to drop down to drink at the pool, but it continued overhead without stopping which was a surprise. But a really great bird to end the morning.

Crested Honey Buzzard (Pernis ptilorhynchus)



No comments:

Post a Comment