17 February 2015

Winter sunrise at the Towers

Week 03, 17 January 2015 - Kuwait Towers

Earlier in the week on the way to work, I saw that the sun was rising directly behind the Salmiya point looking East from Kuwait Towers and it was pretty spectacular.

So, I was out and in place before sunrise, but today we had cloud cover and the crisp clean air from the previous few days was no longer there. Nevertheless I was here, so made the most of it and I also had the opportunity to put my new Canon EF 100-400f/4.5-5.6 L IS II USM lens through it's paces and it was very impressive to say the least.

This Common Black-headed Gull was taken before the sun peeped over the horizon and no issues with focus or tracking (lightened a little in PS)

Common Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Another with the golden sunrise hue with an urban backdrop

Common Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) against a Salmiya backdrop
And this was the sunrise I had gotten up early to see, not as spectacular as in the week, but the cloud cutting through the sun gave it some drama

Dramatic Salmiya Sunrise
I then found a few obliging urban birds and the zoom took these in it's stride too; first up were House Sparrows warming up in the first rays

Male House Sparrow (Passer domesticus), not sure of the ssp



Followed by Common Myna that are common at the Towers..

Common Myna (Acridotheres tristis)
My overall impression of the performance was very satisfying and I look forward to using this great all-round lens in many other applications.


No comments:

Post a Comment