13 June 2018

Twitch!

Week 46; 18 November 2017 - Jahra East Outfall (JEO), Jahra Farm and Mutla'a Ranch

The 3rd Hawfinch for Kuwait had been seen at JEO earlier in the week and I dipped on it yesterday. There had been a massive eruption of this species in Europe and in Israel in the preceding week, so it was expected that one or two may just overshoot to Kuwait and that's exactly what happened.

So, I was at JEO just after sunrise for another go as it was a bird I really wanted to see.

JEO Sunrise


There was a big area of Sabkha to cover where it had been seen feeding previously. Typically it was seen feeding early in the morning just after sunrise for around an hour and then disappeared for the rest of the day - so no pressure. 

Driving slowly with windows open to listen for unusual calls, I found a single Hypocolius, followed by a pair of Siberian Stonechat


Siberian Stonechat (Saxicola m. variegatus)
A Black Kite drifted by overhead

Black Kite (Milvus migrans)
I then switched the engine off and scanned carefully when I caught some movement out of the corner of my eye some 30m away - it was just a glimpse of a bird dropping from the outside of a Sabkha bush to lower down and in my heart I knew that was the Hawfinch. I drove slowly trying not to lose the bush as I zig zagged my way to the area and low and behold there it was in all its glory feeding on the seeds of the Sabkha bush and I had it all to myself for at least 30-minutes - what a bird and what a cool scientific name! 


Hawfinch (Coccothraustes coccothraustes)




A few more images from my other body - couldn't help it, it is such a great bird!






A Mauryan Grey Shrike flew in, perhaps having seen some movement in the bush, but perhaps wasn't prepared for a bird bigger than it was to pop out. It kind of bowed in a submissive way and showed no aggression at all toward the Hawfinch - some mutual respect perhaps?


Mauryan Grey Shrike (Lanius lahtora pallidirostris)
Mauryan Grey Shrike showing submissive behaviour



Feeling pretty pleased, I left the bird to continue feeding and headed to Jahra Farm, where I found White Wagtail


White Wagtail (Motacilla alba)
And a new Butterfly species for Kuwait - Blue-spotted Arab which was satisfying


Blue-spotted Arab (Colotis phisadia)
Last stop at Mutla'a Ranch to pick-up Wood Lark


Wood Lark (Lullula arborea)
and a bonus Red-breasted Flycatcher

Red-breasted Flycatcher (Ficedula parva)


and another Black Kite passing by overhead


Black Kite (Milvus migrans)
A really fantastic morning in Kuwait





No comments:

Post a Comment