27 December 2011

Boxing Day Birding

Week 52 - 26 December 2011, Green Island and Jahra Pools Reserve

I had taken 2-days off for the Christmas weekend to enjoy time with the family and the weather played it's part too - almost Spring weather during the day.

We had a late morning walk around Green Island seeing a few Common Redshanks and a single pale morph Indian Reef Heron. However, over lunch I received a text for a species I hadnt yet seen in Kuwait.

pale morph Indian Reef Heron (Egrette g. schistacea)

Fortunately my family and father-in-law were happy to take a detour to Jahra Pools Reserve to see if the birds were still there. I checked one part of the pools first and found a single Tufted Duck and managed to catch it taking off.

Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)






At the next spot, there was no sign of the flock, but after some time, a flock of 11 Greylag Geese (with a lone Widgeon) appeared from behind some reeds. Although quite distant I was able to get some record images and this I would imagine is my last Kuwait lifer for this year, so a great birding note to end 2011.
Eastern Greylag Goose (Anser a. rubrirostri)



The wind was pumping a bit, but the Pallid Swifts overhead seemed to enjoy the challenge, as I did trying to follow them with the camera

Pallid Swift (Apus pallidus)


No comments:

Post a Comment