02 July 2020

Full Lockdown - Day 66

Week 20; 16 May 2020 - Abu Hassania

Kuwait announced full lock-down for 3-weeks, starting on 10 May 2020, with only 2-hours/day (4pm - 6pm) for exercise within the suburb where you lived. In order to avoid any onset of cabin fever, I set myself a goal to walk 10,000 steps a day for the 3-weeks of lock-down. 

In the first week, I carried my camera and 100mm macro, so that I could look for and record any invertebrates that I encountered and this added an enjoyable element to the daily walks.

In one of the small gardens in Fnaitees, I discovered these large and distinctive Ants that remain unidentified for now

Ant sp.




Fortunately, I live close the the beach and that was considered part of where I live, so was able to add a little more diversity on the daily walks. Butterflies were easy to find and were mostly the Blues family - here a selection of Asian Grass Blues

Female Asian Grass Blue (Zizeeria karsandra)


Male Asian Grass Blue (Zizeeria karsandra)

Mediterranean Pierrot's

Mediterranean Pierrot (Tarucus rosaceus)


Pea Blue

Pea or Long-tailed Blue (Lampides boeticus)

and the diminutive Western Pygmy Blue

Western Pygmy Blue (Brephidium exilis)

Not many Moth's, other than The Vestal were seen

The Vestal (Rhodometra sacraria)

Pitted Beetles are pretty abundant in habitat between houses

Pitted Beetle (Adesmia cancellata)





This large Beetle was distinctive in itself

Akis subtricostata



Whilst the Harlequin Ground Bugs are relatively colourful

Harlequin Ground Bug (Lygaeus equestris linnaeus)


I did find a few Grasshopper species that still require identification

Grasshopper sp.

Grasshopper sp.

As well as one unidentified Dragonfly

Dragonfly sp.

Not sure whose tightly knit web this is?

Unidentified Web

Birds are tough with a macro lens, but I confirmed that there are at least 2-pairs of Red-vented Bulbul's in Abu Hassania

Red--vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus cafer)

And I also saw one Golden-backed Weaver

Golden-backed Weaver (Ploceus jacksoni)

As well as an escaped pair of Senegal Parrot's (or possibly they were released by a pet shop when the lock-down was announced?)

Senegal Parrot (Poicephalus senegalus)

In one area, Giant Milkweed's were flowering, but the flowers didn't attract much

Giant Milkweed (Calotropis procera)

I had a good first week, covering 45km in total

Abu Hassania beach at sunset

Abu Hassania Beach






No comments:

Post a Comment