18 July 2020

Lockdown - Day 114

Week 27; 03 July 2020 - Pivot Fields

Curfew hours have now changed from 8pm to 5am, but are favourable and this means I can get to the gate when it opens at 6am. The early start at this time of year does make a difference.

I made a detour on the way to the marsh, stopping for one of the many resident Crested Lark's in the warm glow of the early morning sun

Crested Lark (Galerida cristata)

Followed by a Namaqua Dove a little further on

Male Namaqua Dove (Oena capensis)

Today there was a cracking adult Black-winged Kite on the overhead lines and this one had extensive black shoulder patches

Black-winged Kite (Elanus c. vociferus)


Again I walked the soggy patch adjacent to the reeds and had a brief view of this Caspian Reed Warbler, before it disappeared back into the reeds

Caspian Reed Warbler (Acrocephalus s. fuscus)



There quite a few of the Bembix Hover Flies drinking from the wet sand

Bembix sp.

At the marsh, no Stilts, as they were elsewhere - so it was relatively quiet. But the White-tailed Lapwings were there to greet me

White-tailed Lapwing (Vanellus leucurus)


Walking back to my car, I was really surprised to see a Rufous-tailed Scrub Robin appear in a scrubby area. Earlier on other birders who were at the site had seen Common Starling and European Robin - quite bizarre

Rufous-tailed Scrub Robin (Cercotrichas galactotes)

I tried the scrubby areas for Courser and found less than the previous week

Cream-coloured Courser (Cursorius cursor)

And even the Black-crowned Sparrow-Lark numbers seemed reduced

Black-crowned Sparrow-Lark (Eremopterix nigriceps)

I checked the smaller open pool and found a Ruff coming out of summer plumage that had me thinking it could have been a Spotted Redshank until it flew - cracking plumage

Ruff (Philomachus pugnax)


A few Green Sandpipers were also present in this area

Green Sandpiper (Tringa ochropus)

and at least three Common Kestrel

Common Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus)

I spent quite a long time photographing the Barn Swallows drinking from the pool, trying to get that one shot. What is interesting, is that after scooping the water, they seem to hold a drop in their bill and then swallow it after gaining some height..

Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica)






I believe, I did..

Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica)

Followed closely by a Sand Martin

Sand Martin (Riparia riparia)

After this 45-minute stint, I needed the car AC and called it a morning




No comments:

Post a Comment