02 July 2020

Full Lockdown - Day 73

Week 21; 23 May 2020 - Abu Hassania

The first week of lockdown took some time getting used to, although working remotely from home certainly kept me busy during office hours and more. 

Again this week I carried my camera with the macro lens, as last week was pretty enjoyable - although this week, not much new to photograph.

I saw this group/flock of little invertebrates in a small pool of water outside my apartment


Diptera sp.


As with last week, the Blue butterflies were pretty abundant; Asian Grass Blues


Asian Grass Blue (Zizeeria karsandra)

along with Mediterranean Pierrot's are the most common


Female Mediterranean Pierrot (Tarucus rosaceus)

Male Mediterranean Pierrot (Tarucus rosaceus)

I found European Bee-wolf


European Beewolf (Philanthus triangulum)


and plenty Harlequin Ground Bugs


Harlequin Ground Bug (Lygaeus equestris linnaeus)

This week, some Ants were investigating the Web I found last week


Web contents under attack

On the bird front, a few Willow Warblers were still about


Willow Warbler (Phylloscopus trochilus)

But what was interesting is that I found a small colony (5 birds) of breeding Golden-backed Weavers in a big dead tree in Abu Hassania. There were at least 6 nests and the males, although not in breeding plumage were actively displaying and calling. I will now monitor there progress over the rest of lockdown and the coming weeks/months


Male Golden-backed Weaver (Ploceus jacksoni) with freshly built nest

Female Golden-backed Weaver (Ploceus jacksoni)

This week I covered 58km as I got used to setting a better pace

Here an Abu Hassania beach abstract


Abu Hassania beach





No comments:

Post a Comment