28 September 2018

Invertebrates and a few birds

Week 22; 02 June 2018 - Al Abraq

We had some heavy humidity in Kuwait, so instead of birding along the coast, I headed to the west and Al Abraq, but with low expectations from a bird perspective and I wasn't disappointed.

Mostly resident species, but overhead I did have Sand Martin

Sand Martin (Riparia riparia)

And very late Common Swift (or perhaps pekanensis?) - interesting with the feet 'dangling' below the body; perhaps for cooling in the oppressive heat? 

Common Swift (Apus apus)




I found a pair of Spanish Sparrows gathering nest material - these are generally winter visitors, so perhaps a pair has remained and will nest together with the House Sparrows.

Spanish Sparrow (Passer hispaniolensis)

As I did last week, I then walked around looking for invertebrates. There was a fair variety of butterflies; Asian Grass Blue

Asian Grass Blue (Zizeeria karsandra)

Mediterranean Pierrot

Mediterranean Pierrot (Tarucus rosaceus)

Painted Lady

Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui)

Salmon Arab

Salmon Arab (Madais fausta)

And Plain Tiger

Plain Tiger (Danaus chrysippus)


A couple of Dragonfly species, including a new species for me; Bladetail

Bladetail (Lindenia tetraphylla)

Plus a couple of Emperor's - probably Vagrant (green eyes)

Vagrant Emperor (Hemianax ephippiger)


As well as some Darter types

Darter sp

Darter sp.



I found two species of Grasshopper/Locust

Grasshopper sp

Locust sp.

And a delicate flowering plant with really spiky thorns

Desert plant sp.

I finished off with some images of the dwellings around the farm before heading home as the temps are now heading through the roof

Abraq dwellings




No comments:

Post a Comment