28 September 2018

Twitch

Week 18; 04 May 2018 - Jahra Farm

I was sitting at home editing my backlog images, when a message came through our WhatsApp group from Bassel who had found Kuwait's 2nd Collared Flycatcher at Jahra Farms.

Fortunately it was the weekend, so I literally dropped what I was doing, grabbed my camera and was at Jahra Farm within 30-minutes of the message. Bassel was still there and showed me where he had seen it. It wasn't there at first, but within 15-minutes the stunning male re-appeared and gave eye-popping views, although it was quite flighty and didn't allow close approach. I soaked it up and over the next few hours it was seen by most.

Stunning male Collared Flycatcher (Ficedula albicollis)



Other migrants on the same farm included Spotted Flycatcher - these two images illustrating how it helps to have the sun behind you.

Spotted Flycatcher (Muscicapa striata)


and a fly over Common Cuckoo

Common Cuckoo (Cuculus canorus)

Resident species included a back-lit White-eared Bulbul

White-eared Bulbul (Pycnonotus leucotis)

and some Bank Myna's walking back to my car..

Bank Myna (Acridotheres ginginianus)

A very satisfying afternoon diversion

No comments:

Post a Comment